So is Rosehip good for arthritis?
Yes, there is evidence (as you will read below) that rosehip powder alleviates the symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis, but before we get into the advantages of rosehip powder and these diseases let’s find out more about the diseases themselves.
What is Rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is what is known as a autoimmune disease this means that the body’s immune system attacks its own tissues. and in the case of rheumatoid arthritis causes inflammation in the tissue which lines the joints causing it to thicken which results in pain and swelling around the joints.
If the inflammation is not seen to this can result in cartilage damage as well as bone damage. Over time as the cartilage gets reduced the joint become stiff and unusable and more painful to the point where the joints fuse completely.
The most common areas affected by rheumatoid arthritis are the hands, feet, knees, elbows and ankles. And normally if one hand is affected the other And is also affected or if one foot is affected the other foot also be affected.
What is Osteoporosis
The word actually means porous bones And is a disease which reduces the bones density and quality.
So the time as the bones become less dense and more fragile the chances of breaking or cracking a bone is increased dramatically.
This is a silent disease as there are no real indications of what is taking place within your bones until you fracture or break a bone.
Our bones change and strengthen throughout our lives with the strongest period of bone density within our 20s there after the bone start reducing density overtime and what osteoporosis does it just speeds up this process so that the bone density decreases faster than what the bones can actually create more bone.
The most common fractures occur in the hip spine Undressed . Across the globe one out of every 3 women and one out every 5 men risk osteoporosis fractures
Rosehip is from the Rosaceae family, and is also known by the following names Rosa canina, hop fruit, Brier hip, hipberries, dog brier fruit, dog rose fruit, hipberries, witches brier, hip tree, hip fruit
The better quality rosehip oil extracts are produced using the Cold Press process, which ensures a better quality oil once extracted from the fruit due to the low temperatures placed on the rose hips during the pressing process.
How it works
Rosehip powder contains polyphenols and anthocyanins.
Polyphenols are phytochemicals found in natural plant sources and have antioxidant properties.
Anthocyanins are beneficial pigments normally found in red or purple fruit of plants and are also a type of antioxidant.
These active antioxidants polyphenols and anthocyanins, are believed to reduce inflammation and prevent joint damage thereby helping with the painful effects of arthritis.
Beyond the antioxidants actually fight off damaging molecules such as free radicals which can cause tissue damage and disease.
A Published Medical Report
A report published by the School of Health Sciences, RMIT University, Victoria. called
Rosehip – an evidence based herbal medicine for inflammation and arthritis stated that “Rosehips – which contain a particular type of galactolipid – have a specific anti inflammatory action”.
Clinical Trial – Rheumatoid Arthritis
89 participants suffering from rheumatoid arthritis were ministered 5 grams of rosehip powder or a placebo powder once a day for 6 months.
Those participants who received the rosehip powder reported better physical function and better quality of life.
The placebo group experienced none of these improved symptoms
Clinical Trial – Osteoporosis
In these tests they performed two individual trials
In the first trial a hundred sufferers from knee and hip osteoporosis randomly given 5 grams of rosehip powder and others a placebo powder once a day for 4 months.
The second trial 112 sufferers osteoporosis in general parts of the body where the supplied 5 grams of rosehip powder or 5 g of a placebo powder once a day for 3 months.
In the group of people taking the 5 grams of rosehip powder on once a day for 4 months experience better flexibility even though the range of movement did not improve.
Also so is taking the rosehip powder reported a significant drop in pain compared to the placebo group
The second trial 66% had less pain than the 36% who didn’t take the rosehip powder . The group taking the rosa powder found improve symptoms especially with morning stiffness.
Due to the reduced pain experienced by the participants who took the rosie powder also reduce the intake of painkillers.
- Rossnagel K, Roll S, Willich SN. [The clinical effectiveness of rosehip powder in participants with osteoarthritis. A systematic review.] MMW – Fortschritte der Medizin 2007; 149(11):51–56. [Article in German].
- Chrubasik C, Duke RK, Chrubasik S. The evidence for clinical efficacy of rose hip and seed: a systematic review. Phytotherapy Research 2006; 20(1):1–3.
- Rein E, Kharazmi A, Winther K. A herbal remedy, Hyben Vital (stand. Powder of a subspecies of Rosa canina fruits), reduces pain and improves general well being in participants with osteoarthritis – a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised trial. Phytomedicine 2004; 11(5):383–91.
- Warholm O, Skaar S, Hedman E, Molmen HM, Eik L. The effects of a standardized herbal remedy made from a subtype of Rosa canina in participants with osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Current Therapeutic Research 2003; 64:21–31.
- Willich SN, Rossangel K, Roll S, Wagner A, Mune O, Erlendson J, Kharazmi A, Sörensen H, Winther K. Rose hip herbal remedy in participants with rheumatoid arthritis – a randomised controlled trial. Phytomedicine 2010; 17:87–93.
- Winther K, Apel K, Thamsborg G. A powder made from seeds and shells of a rosehip subspecies (Rosa canina) reduces symptoms of knee and hip osteoarthritis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology 2005; 34(4):302–08.
Where to buy hundred percent organic certified rosehip powder
Rosehip farm in South Africa producers organic certified rosehip powder specifically for manufacturers who manufacture their own rosehip powder herbal medicines.
By purchasing your rosehip powder from Rosehipfarm.co.za you have the peace of mind knowing that the product you have purchased has been certified by the following organisations (EU Organic Certification, ECOCERT & USDA) .