3/4 ts Cayenne pepper
1 lg Garlic ; minced
1/2 ts Grated orange rind
568 ml Fresh hips, seeds removed
568 ml Cider vinegar or wine
30 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
2 ts Ground ginger
226 g Raisins or sultanas, chopped
680 g Cooking apples, peeled,
29 ml Fresh orange juice,
284 ml Dried rose hips, seeds
1 ts Ground cloves
226 g Brown sugar
- large heavy saucepan
- canning jars
- plastic-lined lids or jars with hinged lids and rubber seals.
- Remove seeds from rosehips.
- Soak the rosehips, raisins or sultanas, and apples in vinegar overnight.
- After soaking, place the rosehips with remaining ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil oveer high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened.
- Leave to cool, then place chutney in clean, dry jars and cover with parafin and cellophane and plastic-lined lids (or glass jars with rubber seals and hinged lids).
- Store chutney in a cool place.
- Keep for at least a month before using.
- Like all chutneys, this one improves with age.
- It goes well with, turkey, ham, or game and is good during the winter holidays.